My students are already working really hard toward their practice goals. I love what a little motivation can do to help students progress.
I've adapted Sheryl's program just a bit. Instead of awarding students with charms, once they complete each 'Star-Challenge,' I ordered these colored silicone bracelets that have 'A Start is Born' engraved in them (to go along with each big star). Here's how I've broken down each Star-Challenge:
- Behind the Scenes (technique) - To earn a purple bracelet, each student must complete an entire practice chart. If you are interested to know about the technique charts that I use - visit All Things Cranky.
- A Star-Studded Staff (note ID) - Students who can pass off their flash cards within a minute will earn a yellow bracelet. If students have already passed off their note cards, then I have them memorize their key signatures (including being able to draw the Circle of 5th under a minute).
- Famous Celebrity Composers (composers) - I love getting ideas/materials from all of you wonderful bloggers! I found these composer packets from Joy over at Color in My Piano. I'm going to let my students earn a yellow bracelet for each lapbook they complete. I hope Joy posts more (hint hint)!
- 'Reel'y Great Rhythms (rhythm) - This category is still a work in progress. Haven't figured out how I'm going to do this challenge quite yet. Ideas? The award for completing it, however, will be a blue bracelet.
- Lights, Camera, Action! (theory) - Students who complete half of their theory book will receive a red bracelet. The theory books that I use are a bit long and take at least a year to complete, so I felt like completing half was quite a feat.